Monday, March 13, 2017

No More Pills

Brulee is feeling much better today.  This weekend has been a battle between Brulee and Mom Paula concerning the taking of her pill for allergies.  The vet recommended taking a Chlorpheniramine (“Chlor Trimeton”). (1/2 pill twice daily) while Brulee is sneezing.  This is much easier said than done!
Brulee says, "no more pills"

It's been a long time since Mom Paula had to give Brulee a pill.  In the past, it wasn't too difficult.  When Brulee was sick back in September, she took some liquid medication. She did okay with it (Truffle did not).  Mom Paula thought this would be easy, but didn't think about the "human" pill being bitter.  Here are the attempts at pilling Brulee.

  1. Open mouth and insert pill.  Mom Paula thought this worked, but as soon as Brulee got away, she spit out the pill on the bed.  Score:  Brulee = 1, Mom Paula = 0
  2. Put the pill in a pill pocket.  Mom Paula broke the pill pocket into small pieces and fed them to Brulee as treats and the last piece was wrapped around the pill.  Brulee ate all of the pill pocket and spit out the pill.  Score:  Brulee = 2, Mom Paula = 0
  3. Crush the pill and put it into the juice of chicken broth in Brulee favorite cat food. Brulee began licking the broth, but after the second lick, she stopped and looked at the bowl.  She tried to lick one more time, but stopped and walked away.  Score:  Brulee = 3, Mom Paula = 0
  4. Crush the pill and put inside a favorite treat.  Brulee smelled the treat and turned her head.  Score:  Brulee = 4, Mom Paula = 0
  5. Crush the pill, mix with tuna juice, and put into a syringe.  Open Brulee's mouth and insert juice.  Most of the liquid got down Brulee's throat with a little bit of foaming at the mouth.  Mom Paula then squirted some water into Brulee's mouth.  Mom Paula followed through with some freeze-dried chicken treats.  Score - Brulee 4.5, Mom Paula = 0.5
Mom Paula doesn't want to stress Brulee if she really isn't that sick, but she doesn't like hearing Brulee sneeze.  Mom Paula bought some pill masker paste and a pill popper for the future if Brulee needs more medication.  Some of our cat blogger friends also suggested buying some capsules to put the crushed pill into.  After thinking about it, Mom Paula remembers some of her allergy medication having a bitter taste.  

And so, the saga of giving Brulee allergy medication continues...

31 comments:

  1. Wow, what a little stinker Brulee is! Can you believe she is even worse than Binga?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sound as if you were winning with Brulee. We hope you can find another way to get her interested in the food and to forget about the pill. Good luck Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good score Brulee! The next up is to hold that pill in your mouth until they leave and then spit it back out... I'm good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is always something. mom says she is glad so far anyone in this house that has to be pilled has been pretty good about it. Dandelion would let mom pill him - the adventure was in CATCHING him :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot get pills or liquid down any of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope she makes a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Brulee! She's a formidable foe ... we hope she feels better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Brulee and poor you. Could you do the kid's Benadryl in liquid form?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brulee is a smart kitty! Ernie takes this med and I put it in a size 4 gelcap (no need to crush, it will fit in). Size 4 is the smallest one you can get (well, there is a size 5 but I haven't been able to find any). I then either 1) wrap the capsule in a piece of pill pocket or 2) put a little butter on it...and pop it in Ernie's mouth. I usually don't have a problem, but Ernie is pretty cooperative. ~Island Cat Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Mom Paula is going to try this next time.

      Delete
  10. Yeah, my allergy meds are bitter too so I know why Brulee doesn't like them.
    Giving a dog a pill is hard enough, I can imagine it's even more difficult to give a cat a pill. Hopefully you won't have to do it again

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brulee doesn't look pleased in that picture! Hope she is finished with the pills for awhile. Ruby is on several pills, but fortunately she takes them just mixed in with her food.

    Congrats on becoming a BlogPaws Ambassador!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm looking forward to representing BlogPaws in my home state.

      Delete
  12. Oh jeez.. what an ordeal. I've had similar issues with my dog Boomer. Luckily, she loves peanut butter so we found a way to hide them in it. With my cat, I've only ever had to give her pills once and after trying everything you tried, we had to basically shove them down their throat. I hated doing it, but she really needed the meds and its the only way she would swallow them. Followed by lots of treats and love. Hope you find something that works well. If you do, let us know! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't imagine having to give my cats a pill! I had to give one of my cats a syringe with liquid, well let me tell you, there was more on me than in my cats mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fortunately most of the Lapdogs take their meds without hassle. Sophie is known to eat the pill pocket around a pill and spit the pill out, however.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not that butter is great for you, but butter covered pills are slick and tasty. Worth a shot in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad that your sweetie is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww I use cream cheese - put the pill in a blob of cream cheese and give to Layla, it works every time LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a bit of a laugh at this - I can totally relate to giving pills to cats! Glad Brulee is feeling better though :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've relieved that our three cats seem to readily gobble up medication that I put in their food. Our dogs have been less cooperative. We've had to resort to pill pockets, syringes, and sticking pills down their throat. Not fun or easy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never had the "pleasure" of trying to medicate a cat but I certainly read plenty of horror stories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not sure who I feel worse for, Brulee or Mom Paula. It is very frustrating trying to help someone who doesn't want your version of help!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How stressful for all. Hope Brulee feels better without pills or another methods works. Nala hated pills too - I crushed and put in chicken- her fave. Kilo will eat anything including dirty tissues so I don't think he'll be a problem if he ever gets sick.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel for you. I hope Brulee feels better or you find a better way to help. ~Dear Mishu

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope Mom Paula has more success in the future and that Brulee feels better soon. Giving pills to pets is always tough. They seem to know and try to make it more difficult.
    -Jessica from Beagles & Bargains

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is it possible to have the pills compounded?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh oh... Brûlée is winning! Here is an idea - insert the pill in a sardine? Will that work? Allergies are yucky stuff and having had quite a few Shih Tzu's who have suffered from them, ma has gotten pretty clever! But I think it's different with dogs and cats - dogs generally will eat anything. Ma noticed when we babysit my neighbors kitty that she's more selective to both taste and texture! We'll send good "pill popping' vibes to Mom Paula and Brûlée!

    ReplyDelete

It's so sweet of you to leave us a comment!